Is your SQL Server Database gets corrupt? You are unable to access your crucial and want to recover it. But don’t have any idea about how to do that. If so, then read this article until the end. Here we have explained how to restore SQL Database from corrupt MDF file.
Microsoft SQL Server is one of the leading database management applications used all around the globe. As compared to other database applications, it offers a good amount of features with an interactive interface. Organizations are more likely to use this application in order to store and manage their crucial business data. Since data corruption is unavoidable, sometimes SQL databases become corrupt due to several factors such as virus attacks, sudden power outages, abrupt system shut down, and many more. Let’s explore the other main reasons that are responsible for MDF file corruption.
Root Causes of MDF Corruption
There are various factors responsible for corruption of SQL database MDF file and the most common ones are as given below:
- Frequent abrupt termination of SQL Server.
- Malicious malware and virus attacks
- Incorrect changes are done in the SQL Server account.
- If there is network failure in between when the database MDF file is in use.
- Corrupt storage media/device where database MDF files are stored.
In all the above scenarios, database files may get damaged or corrupt after which users won’t be able to access their data anymore. In this kind of situation, users start looking for a simple and secure way to restore SQL database from corrupt MDF file. Here, in this article, we mentioned both manual and automated approaches to do the same. So read the complete post and choose whatever option works best for you.
Recover corrupt MDF files using the DBCC command
Run the given DBCC CHECKDB command on the corrupt database:
DBCC CHECKDB (Name_of_corrupt_database)
And then, checkup the index ID
- If the index ID more than 1, then drop it and create again.
- If you found index ID is 0 or 1, run DBCC CHECKDB again with the suitable repair options like-
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_fast)
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_rebuild)
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_allow_data_loss)
Flexible Solution to Restore SQL Database from Corrupt MDF file in SQL Server
In case the above-mentioned method doesn’t repair your file as expected, you can try another solution i.e SQL Recovery Tool. This program can easily restore data from severely corrupt MDF files without any consequences. Moreover, with this tool users can also recover the permanently deleted data items like- tables, views, functions, stored procedures, etc. The tool provides many advanced features some of them are as given below:
- It provides Quick and Advance scan mode for the recovery of corrupted files.
- It maintains the integrity of the database MDF files during the process.
- There is no file size limitation associated with it. One can easily repair the large size file also.
- This tool also serves facilities to export recovered data into a live SQL Server database, CSV format, or as SQL script.
- It enables the users to work with any SQL Server version.
Step to restore SQL database from corrupt MDF file
- Step 1: Download, install and launch the software and click on the Open button and browse the corrupt MDF file from the saved location.
- Step 2: Select either Quick or Advance scanning mode according to corruption level in the MDF file. Select SQL Server version of your file manually or automatically.
- Step 3: After this, the tool will start scanning the file, once the process is completed preview the recovered data in the software pane.
- Step 4: Now, choose an export option and hit the Export button to export the recovered data from the corrupted MDF file.
Also Read: How to Restore Master Database in SQL Server?
The article has explained how to restore SQL database from corrupt MDF file in SQL Server 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, or any other version using manual and automated methods. If the manual methods do not work, in such a situation, there is a professional SQL Recovery tool that will surely help you. Using the software, you can easily recover everything from the MDF file including the accidentally deleted items also.